Rosewood Center in
Owings Mills, MD, formerly known as The Asylum and Training School for
the Feeble Minded of the State of Maryland, was established in
1888. This institution provided care, education, training, and
habilitation of developmentally disabled children. It admitted
it's first patients in 1889. From 1912-1961 it was known as
Rosewood State Training School. In 1958 Rosewood established the
Institute for Children which provided intensive inpatient psychiatric
treatment for emotionally ill children. The children were admitted
up to their 13th birth date. In 1961 the name changed to Rosewood State
Hospital. In 1969 the Hospital was renamed Rosewood Center.
Rosewood Center continues to provide care for the state's
developmentally disabled citizens.
- Maryland State Archives